Search engine optimization — or SEO — is a big deal in the digital marketing world (and it should be). The position that your business’s website holds on Google can make a big difference in the amount of money you bring in and leads you attract, and it’s an excellent way to continually leverage your digital presence. However, implementing a SEO strategy involves a lot of conflicting advice — and, often, a hard-to-understand, antiquated method of trying to boost it the wrong way.
Here’s the thing: the way SEO has been optimized over the years has changed dramatically. What Google rewards in 2021 isn’t what Google rewarded in 2011, and that’s okay. However, no matter where you look, most SEO strategy advice is probably referring to SEO best practices circa 2011. We know how hard it is to truly implement SEO best practices that work, so here’s your master list.
- Use keywords (sparingly).
- Include backlinks to other pages on your site.
- Break up website copy into short lines and paragraphs.
- Write custom page titles and meta descriptions for each site page.
- Embrace a content strategy that provides value.
- Update your site’s content regularly.
- Research your search engine result competitors.
- Optimize your site for mobile.
- Keep an eye on your site’s speed.
- Regularly update plugins.
- Include relevant backlinks to other sites (sparingly).
- Focus on actual engagement.
- Pay attention to your analytics.
- Add keywords to your site page permalinks.
- Add social share buttons to your site pages.
- Title your site photos with keyword-friendly titles.
- Keep your domain name consistent.
- Optimize for the user experience.
- Continually audit your site experience.
- Use H1s, H2s, and H3s in your content.
- Make sure each page has a CTA.
- Delete old landing pages.
- If you’re sharing videos or infographics, include text.
At Social Xccess, we’re all about helping people and businesses overhaul their strategies for max impact. Check our our blog resources, or contact us today for some 1:1 help.